Even the most evergreen content loses its luster over time, and content freshness is a ranking factor. Even if your post is still ranking on the first page of Google, you’d be surprised at what a content refresh can do. A new publish date on the SERP can significantly increase CTR and bump you up a few positions, which can lead to a surge in traffic.
But you can’t just change a few words and then update the publish date on your post. Google knows better than that. Here are some strategies, taken from my post on how to get more traffic from evergreen content:
- Update and/or add new information and stats.
- Replace outdated visuals and/or create new ones to illustrate concepts.
- Add new links to more recent resources.
- Fix broken links and images.
- Add new keywords from the query report in Search Console (more on that later).
- Tweak your meta title and meta description.